WestConnex will cost many families thousands of dollars a year. What will it cost you?
Toll calculations are based on the formula provided in Table E.3 of the Updated Strategic Business Case:
- Price =
- flagfall of $1.04, plus inflation,
- plus a per kilometer charge of $0.38/km, plus inflation,
- with a cap of $7.35, plus inflation.
- Price inflation =
- 4% a year for each year from 2013 to 2038 (or CPI, whichever is higher),
- CPI for each year from 2039 until 2060.
- This calculator assumes CPI will be no more than 4% before 2038, and 2.5% a year thereafter.
- If CPI is higher than expected, then the toll will be higher than predicted here.
- After 2060 the M4, M5 and M4-M5 link should revert to public ownership, unless the toll is extended.
- Toll is payable each way.
- Heavy Vehicles pay x 3. (Calculator assumes a maximum of 1 HV per family.)
- There will be no M5 style cash-back on the WestConnex.
The Calculator uses the following numbers for tollable distances:
|M4 Widening||Parramatta (Church St) to Homebush (Homebush Bay Drive)||7.2km|
|M4 East||Homebush (Homebush Bay Drive) to Haberfield (Parramatta Road and City West Link )||5.9km|
|M4-M5 Link||Haberfield (Parramatta Road and City West Link) to St Peters (St Peters interchange)||9.0km|
|New M5||Beverly Hills (King Georges Road) to St Peters (St Peters interchange)||10.9km|
For the existing M4 and M5 these numbers are the distance by road, according to Google maps.
For the New M5 and the M4-M5 Link, these are the straight line distance for the predicted tunnel route, according to Google maps. The actual distance and toll may be higher than shown in this calculator, depending on the final route of the tunnels.
The M4 Widening is scheduled to complete in 2017. The M4 East is scheduled to complete in 2019. The New M5 is scheduled to complete in 2019. The M4-M5 Link is scheduled to complete in 2023. Rather than having some road sections conditionally available, depending on the year selected, all road sections have been shown as if they were going to be available from 2017.
This calculator is provided to you in the hope that it will be useful, but no guarantees for it are made. We specifically do not warrant its correctness or that the numbers it produces will be accurate, though it is our intention that they will be. All care and no responsibility taken. Please do not rely on these numbers, but make your own enquiries.